Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday with Val and Watercolor Techniques

Hi everyone!
It's terribly cold here today so I have been daydreaming about summer.
This gorgeous little stamp takes me back to the beach with my brother when I was young.
This quick little watercolor technique suits this image perfectly.
Thank you so much for visiting!
Val :)
To achieve this look:
  1. Pounce three distress inks beside each other onto your craft mat and spritz them with water. Here I have used Squeezed Lemonade, Evergreen Bough and Broken China.
  2. Push a nice multimedia paper or watercolor paper into the wet ink and twist or move gently to get good coverage and nice blending.  (If the color is too dark, spritz with more water.  If the color is too light, dry the craft mat and repeat with less water.)  
  3. Dry the image with a heat gun.
  4. Stamp image with Versafine Onyx Black ink (or other insoluble ink).
  5. Heat set the image with a heat gun.
  6. Using a small watercolor brush, brush a bit of water into areas you wish to lighten and dab those areas with an absorbent towel to remove a bit of color. Here I have done the shirts and the hat.
  7. Heat the image one last time to dry the lightened areas. They will lighten a bit more when dry.

“A second wave collapsed over my feet, lipped with white froth, and the chill gripped my ankles with a mortal ache.” 
Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

6 comments:

Evil Edna said...

beautiful, a little piece of summer.EE

Claudine said...

Thanks for taking the time to give steps, thesis beautiful. I really love that little stamp too, one of my favorites

roc said...

your background colors look beautiful together.

Kay Wallace said...

Just an incredible inky background, Val...and that for the directions. I love that super Summer image, as well as the Sylvia Plath quote! So well done, my friend!

Basement Stamper said...

One of my favorite stamps and I love how you created that watercolor background for it, stunning creation!

Corrie Herriman said...

Great card and very well explained !
Corrie x